Ride Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride Connection

Ride Connection – It’s the Ride Buddy Forum. Want to ride, but don’t have someone to go with? The Ride Connection is the place to hook up with others who also want to get out but haven’t got a ride buddy. Log on, post where and when, then GO SNOWMOBILING

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for touring enthusiasts

Go down 
+4
chris
travelingmatt
FSTTOUR
pjwlk
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pjwlk

Looking for touring enthusiasts Empty
PostSubject: Looking for touring enthusiasts   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 am

Hi all, I am currently assembling a list of people who are interested in serious multi-day touring throughout Northern Ontario and North-Western Quebec. This is not a commercial venture and I do like to encourage everyone to be a part of our planning process. My current touring buddies are dropping like flies due to a number of reasons but most notably "getting married" and having kids both of which usually lead to no money and/or time. So having said that I am posting this ad to find others sledders who are suffering the same fate.

My goal is to put together two or three 2-3 day trips and one 5-8 day trip per season with from 4 to 8 people (max). We try to do most trips over a weekend but there are a few of us who are not adverse to mid-week trips. The longer trips are saved for later in the season and are usually fairly far up north.

Our long trip for this year (Feb 6-10) is already full but my experience has shown that bail-outs are probable. This trip is from Sudbury -> Gogama -> Smooth Rock Falls -> Abititi Canyon -> Cochrane -> Gowganda -> Sudbury (5 days 1300km approx). If you are interested in putting your name on a standby list please PM me for details.

I have 12 years of extensive touring experience. Most of the people currently on my email list are mid to late 40s including myself. If you would like to be kept up to date with what is being planned for future trips etc. please PM me. I will be conducting most of my communications through email. We can also meet for a day rides/lunch to get to know one another before any longer trips.

Cheers, hope to hear from you soon,
Paul Wilkinson

These FAQs may help you decide it these tours will be right for you.

- Late model low Km sleds only. (ask if you're not sure)
- Must be comfortable maintaining speeds of 80+ km/hr at times.
- Average time on the trails 7-8 hours including lunch and breaks.
- Average distance covered is 180-225 Km in the south, 250-325km in the north.
- Average "all-in" expenses are approx. $150/day with 2 per room.

We always try to ride safely by doing the following:

- No drinking while on the trail.
- No un-staked or un-marked lake crossings.
- With the exceptions of sanctioned play areas - No off trail riding.
- We wait for everyone at the junction of all turns and all road/railway crossings.
- No one is expected to ride beyond their comfort or abilities.
- We have rest stops.
- No one gets left behind on the trail.
- We all help broken down sleds & riders get to a point of repair and safety.
- We never split up a group of riders unless it is absolutely neccessary.
- I have GPS equipment and satellite phone (for emergency use only).
- I carry a full compliment of maps for each trip.
Back to top Go down
FSTTOUR

FSTTOUR

PostSubject: 80km/hr + ??????   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 5:54 pm

Better bump up the expenses if your moving that fast on the trails
Back to top Go down
pjwlk

PostSubject: Day Rides   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 am

Thanks to all those who have PM's me so far.

I thought I would also mention that we will be doing a number of day rides in different areas of Southern Ontario as conditions improve. Again, please PM me if you'd like to be notified when and were we will ride.

I am also looking to explore new areas as well, so if you have a favourite area that you like to ride in and want some company, please let me know.

Cheers,
Paul W.
Back to top Go down
travelingmatt

PostSubject: rides   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 am

HI I am interested in some day trip please add me to your list,
Back to top Go down
chris

PostSubject: Ottawa Valley tour   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Paul, and others
If you are interested in a three or four day tour in the Ottawa Valley area (Barry's Bay, Denbigh, Renfrew) let me know.
I'm thinking Wednesday to Saturday in Feb, departing from Apsley or Bancroft.
contact me directly: chris.wood@bookitnow.ca
same terms and conditions as in Paul's initial post (mature riders only)
- chris What a Face
Back to top Go down
ski doode

PostSubject: hey   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am

I ride 2006 ski-doo GSX with little over 1300miles on it and 2004 ski-doo Mxz about 2400miles. I'm used to lake racing and also love just to cruse along on regular trails.
I would be very interested in a multi day touring. Please put me in on a standby or whatever list you have.
Thanks,
Derek
Back to top Go down
chris

PostSubject: Re: Looking for touring enthusiasts   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Derek,
If you are interested in the Ottawa Valley tour I am organizing, please send your contact info to me at chris.wood@bookitnow.ca
Back to top Go down
pjwlk

PostSubject: Open Call for RAP tour - Late Feb   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 am

Hi all. I've had a few requests to do the Round Algonquin Park (RAP) tour this winter so I have tentatively set up a 4-day tour date for somewhere around the last week of February. This trip is approx. 630 Km.

PM me if you would like more details.
Back to top Go down
pjwlk

PostSubject: Abitibi Canyon Tour video   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi all, I just thought I would post a video I put together of those who joined us on our sled trip from Subury to Abitibi Canyon and back. Thanks to all who helped out making it. PM me if you're interested in joining us for a different tour next year.

Back to top Go down
don

PostSubject: fun run   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 pm

hi paul. looks like a fun time. hope to go with you next year. don
Back to top Go down
http://donjudd@bell.net
ImMaxx

PostSubject: Re: Looking for touring enthusiasts   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Nice Video. thanks.... maybe one year
Back to top Go down
sledtillyourdead

sledtillyourdead

PostSubject: Re: Looking for touring enthusiasts   Looking for touring enthusiasts EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:29 pm

I am always interested in high mileage rides. I ride everyday during the season.
Where do you live?
I am always looking for new people who share my passion for riding sleds!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for touring enthusiasts   Looking for touring enthusiasts Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for touring enthusiasts
Page 1 of 1