Ride Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride Connection

Ride Connection – It’s the Ride Buddy Forum. Want to ride, but don’t have someone to go with? The Ride Connection is the place to hook up with others who also want to get out but haven’t got a ride buddy. Log on, post where and when, then GO SNOWMOBILING

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Slowe

Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 Empty
PostSubject: Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14   Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 5:51 am

Can anyone give me an estimate of the time to travel between Arnprior and North Bay. North Bay to Timmins? This looks like a long haul but it is difficult to understand the timing based on a map without knowing the terrain. How many stops would be recommended? I drive at a steady pace for 6-8 hours at a time.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
kenogami

kenogami

PostSubject: 3 times rule   Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 6:08 pm

I live on the A-Trail just west of Kirkland Lake. I’m a steady but not an especially hard rider. It takes me about 3 hours to sled to New Liskeard on the A-Trail. It takes me just over 4 to go into Timmins (west end motels) using A-111-C. Coming north out of New Liskeard it looks shorter on the map to take A-108 through Kirkland Lake but the A-Trail is quicker because it follows a couple of major power corridors north of Elk Lake and an old railway bed south of Elk Lake.

I recall a lodge owner in Temagami once telling me about his “3 time rule” for the trails north of North Bay. He said that if it’s an hour drive by highway, it takes 3 hours by sled. It works most of the time. Temagami is just over an hour’s drive to North Bay and it takes 3 hours by sled. A highway drive from North Bay to Timmins is around 4 hours so it would be roughly a 12 hour sled ride, using the rule.

I hope this is helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kenogamialmanac.com
Slowe

PostSubject: Re: Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14   Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 7:47 am

Hi, This information is very helpful.

Do you also have information on the route to Timmins via Sudbury to TOP C? It looks like a bit of a quagmire to get from North Bay to Sudbury and I'm not sure if it's as bad as it looks on the map.

I have done the route between Sault Ste. Marie, Hearst and Chapleau and I know you can cover a lot of ground on those logging roads and power lines (providing they are not plowed). I made it to Hearst with 6+4 hours. That is about 700km with an average speed of 70km per hr. This may sound fast but it was a safe smooth and steady pace. We also only saw about 10 other sleds once we were north of Wawa. In the Ottawa area you are doing well if you can maintain 40km/hr over the same distance.

Thanks

Can anyone update me on the timing from Arnprior to North Bay?
Back to top Go down
kenogami

kenogami

PostSubject: a little bit more   Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Let me begin by saying that I don’t get way down south to Sudbury and North Bay on my sled very often... but here’s what I know.

The C-Trail is very good running this year, south of Timmins to Shining Tree. It follows either major forest access roads or power transmission lines and is relatively quick. There is an excellent alternate, L-143, that could be marked on one of your maps BUT it is all messed up this year with an extensive log haul. I’ve never ridden the C-Trail any further south than the intersection of Trail C-206-D, preferring to bypass Sudbury altogether. This is the first year in the last 5 that they’ve had decent snow closer to Sudbury.

If you’re worried about accommodations, there are two (at least) great lodges along C-206-D; Rocky’s on Lake Wanapitei and The Sportsman on Lake Kukagami. I’ve stayed many times at Three Bears Camp south of Shining Tree. C-206-D is twisty in spots but a fun ride. One year in a heavy snowstorm I ran out of gas one mile short of The Sportsman coming from Three Bears .. BUT .. sleds are far more fuel efficient these days.

From the C-206-D intersection with the D-Trail over to the A-Trail at Tilden Lake, about a third of it is on an old railway bed and after Crystal Falls (east bound) it runs the full length of two major lakes, Chebogomog and Tomiko. In other words, the D-Trail is very quick.

Finally, a few years ago, the clubs got together in District 14 to come up with a mileage chart for long distance touring that you may find useful. The address for it on the web is ... http://tata-bestsnowmobiling.com/images/mileagechart1.gif
Back to top Go down
http://www.kenogamialmanac.com
Slowe

PostSubject: Re: Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14   Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks very much. You are a fine ambassador to the North East.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14   Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Estimating Trip Times District 6-11-14
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ride Connection :: Ontario :: Ontario-
Jump to: